Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tasty morsels, a great appetizer!! (1 hour chill time)
Make and share this Toasted Mushroom Roll-ups recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sweet red peppers or 1⁄3 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 (125 g) package light cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 16 slices whole wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- In a large frypan, heat 1 tablespoon of the margarine over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion and sweet pepper; saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic; saute 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese and basil until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Roll slices of bread lightly with a rolling pin to flatten.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the filling on each slice.
- Roll up tightly;fasten with a toothpick.
- Place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- (Roll-ups may be frozen for up to 2 weeks. Defrost 30 minutes before baking.) Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of margarine, brush over bread rolls.
- Bake at 400f degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove toothpicks; cut each roll into 3 pieces.
- Serve hot.
Wonderful Flavor, great presentation. The recipe does ezactly one sandwich loaf and the amount of filling is pefect - no leftovers. I added 10 drops of hot sauce. When done (before baking) I rolled two together, covered them and froze them and them vacuum sealed them, this way they will be great until Christmas - Out of he freezer and pop into the oven Another winner Dorothy
SOOOOO good! I made these many times before but ommited the peppers because my family does not like them. Perfect little appetizers that I am "forced" to make for all of my family parties!
I'd have given this a higher rating if possible. I followed the recipe exactly and I'll do it the same next time. These were excellent!!! Thanks for posting.