Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
June is the time for events like anniversaries, graduations, bridal showers and other celebrations. So it makes sense to include meringues on the menu. They are a mixture of stiffly beaten egg whites and granulated sugar. These elegant meringue clouds also marry well with ice cream, custard, whipped cream or fresh berries.
- Preheat oven to 200°F Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. Place almonds in a single layer in a dry skillet, and turn heat to medium. Toast, stirring occasionally, until amonds are fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Using a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites on medium speed to soften peaks about 1-2 minutes.
- With the mixer running, add granulated sugar in 3 parts, waiting 20 seconds between additions.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in confectioners' sugar and salt. Fold in 1 cups toasted almonds.
- Using slotted, scoop out large oval-shaped mounds of meringue and place on the lined sheet pan. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Bake for 2 hours. Turn off oven, Leave clouds to dry in oven overnight.
- Remove clouds from the tray and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.