Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is the most delicious sandwich! All ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste, and the herbed butter can be frozen if you have any leftover. I make this sandwich on my George Formean grill. This recipe makes 4 sandwiches. I use Velveeta cheese for this, I find it melts faster, but any thinly sliced cheddar will do.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature (no substitutes!)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 slices bread (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese, sliced (I use Velveeta cheese for this)
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced smoked ham (or to taste)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine the softened butter, Dijon mustard, thyme, parsley and just a pinch salt; mix well until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Arrange 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and top with a slice of cheese.
- Then top with sliced ham, then tomato, then onions and remaining cheese.
- Top with a slice of bread.
- Butter the outside of 4 slices of bread with herbed butter (I like to lightly butter the inside also, but that is up to you).
- Heat a non-stick skillet with a bit of herbed or regular butter (if you buttered the outside of the bread, then you might not want to add in any butter to the skillet).
- Add in the sandwiches, and cook until cheese melts and the bread is golden brown (about 3 minutes on each side).