Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The original of this recipe was seen in the 2007 Taste of Home The Busy Family Cookbook, but has been changed a bit to suit our tastes.
- 4 slices whole grain bread, sliced thick
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices cooked ham, sliced thin
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 slice red onion, separated
- 2 teaspoons horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Spread one side of TWO slices of bread with the mayonnaise, then onto the mayo side layer the ham, cheese & onion.
- Spread one side of the remaining TWO slices of bread each with a teaspoon of the horseradish sauce.
- Place the 2nd slice of bread horseradish-side down over the onion, then on the outer sides of the sandwich, spread the softened butter evenly.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast the sandwiches for about 5 minutes on each side or until the bread is lightly browned & cheese has melted.
What a yummy sandwich. This was made using a whole grain, gluten free bread. The combination of flavors is wonderful.
Ohhhh, this is good. I left off the onion for reasons of texture, but did use a bit of mayo. I used Horseradish Sauce for the horseradish sauce. It was shockingly delicious! This goes right into the rotation. Thanks for posting!
I never in a million years would have dreamed of pairing horseradish with ham and cheese.....but I'm so glad that somebody did...because this sandwich is just delicious!!!
I made exactly as written, and absolutely loved it!!!
Thank you so much for a great new sandwich idea Syd.
Made for 123 Hits.