Recipe by Mommy Diva
A delightful Bobby Flay recipe that appears the perfect end to any Fall dinner--and it is completed on the BBQ! Recipes included to make the gingerbread and caramel sauce ahead of time - the dessert is quick to pull together for your favorite guests! Times listed on his recipe are: Prep Time: 20 minutes Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Top Review by katew
I chose this recipe especially as I wanted to make the gingerbread part . I actually chopped the pears and stirred them through the cake but thought the whole thing was sweet enough so did not do the sauce. So I did twist things around a bit but followed the actual cake recipe as written and this made a most and dark golden cake that was delicious.
- 3 French Butter Pears
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 6 sprig of fresh mint, for garnish
GINGERBREAD (use 6 slices)
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 236.59 ml molasses
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml ground cinnamon
- 7.39 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml hot water
Caramel Sauce (use 1 cup)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml water
- 59.14 ml butter
- 29.58 ml heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- *Bread and caramel sauce should be prepared ahead.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. (If caramel sauce has cooled completely, return to heat and warm while preparing the pears).
- Cut pears in half lengthwise; Use a melon baller, remove the seeds and core.
- Brush the pears with orange juice and place on the grill cut side down.
- Let the pears cook until they are lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- As the pears are cooking, place the gingerbread on the grill and lightly toast on each side.
- Remove the pears and the gingerbread from the grill.
- To assemble, place the toasted gingerbread on a plate.
- Slice the pears and arrange them on top of the gingerbread.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- TO MAKE GINGERBREAD:.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in egg and molasses. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk until mixed. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix. Add 1/3 of the hot water and mix. Continue alternating dry ingredients and water in thirds until all is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- TO MAKE CARAMEL SAUCE:.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the sugar is melted and takes on a dark golden color. Add the butter and cream and whisk until smooth. Be very careful not to splash yourself, caramel is extremely hot! Let cool about 30 minutes, until thickened.