1/1 Photo of Toasted Gingerbread With Grilled Pears and Caramel
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Mommy Diva's Note:
A delightful Bobby Flay recipe that appears the perfect end to any Fall dinner--and it is completed on the BBQ! Recipes included to make the gingerbread and caramel sauce ahead of time - the dessert is quick to pull together for your favorite guests! Times listed on his recipe are: Prep Time: 20 minutes Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 French Butter Pears
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 sprigs fresh mint, for garnish
GINGERBREAD (use 6 slices)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
Caramel Sauce (use 1 cup)
- 1*Bread and caramel sauce should be prepared ahead.
- 2Preheat a grill to medium heat. (If caramel sauce has cooled completely, return to heat and warm while preparing the pears).
- 3Cut pears in half lengthwise; Use a melon baller, remove the seeds and core.
- 4Brush the pears with orange juice and place on the grill cut side down.
- 5Let the pears cook until they are lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- 6As the pears are cooking, place the gingerbread on the grill and lightly toast on each side.
- 7Remove the pears and the gingerbread from the grill.
- 8To assemble, place the toasted gingerbread on a plate.
- 9Slice the pears and arrange them on top of the gingerbread.
- 10Drizzle with caramel sauce and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- 11TO MAKE GINGERBREAD:.
- 12Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
- 13Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in egg and molasses. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk until mixed. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix. Add 1/3 of the hot water and mix. Continue alternating dry ingredients and water in thirds until all is incorporated.
- 14Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 15TO MAKE CARAMEL SAUCE:.
- 16Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the sugar is melted and takes on a dark golden color. Add the butter and cream and whisk until smooth. Be very careful not to splash yourself, caramel is extremely hot! Let cool about 30 minutes, until thickened.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toasted Gingerbread With Grilled Pears and Caramel
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1063.0
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 148.2 mg
- Sodium 1123.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 176.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 122.4 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
French Butter Pears