Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Prepare the bread slices ahead and refrigerate until ready to broil. Also if you like lots of butter then increase the butter to 3/4 cup if desired.
Top Review by ColCadsMom
I cut this recipe down quite a bit, making only enough for 4 slices of Italian loaf bread. I also was a little short on cheese. It was still an absolute delight! I can't WAIT to make it again with tons of cheese on top. This was the PERFECT side dish to recipe#218612 and recipe#146205 made using recipe#168597. It certainly wasn't figure friendly though! Thanks for an outstanding bread and a meal enjoyed by my entire family!
- 1 loaf Italian bread, unsliced
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven heat to broil.
- Cut the breat into about 1-1/2 inch slices.
- In a small bowl combine soft butter with olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Place each slice of bread onto a large baking sheet.
- Spread the butter mixture on top of each slice.
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until slightly browned (keep an close eye on the slices, they brown quickly!).
- Remove from broiler and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of each slice.
- Return to broiler for about 2 minutes or until the cheese is slightly browned and melted.
- Serve immediately.