Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Prepare the bread slices ahead and refrigerate until ready to broil. Also if you like lots of butter then increase the butter to 3/4 cup if desired.
- 1 loaf Italian bread, unsliced
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven heat to broil.
- Cut the breat into about 1-1/2 inch slices.
- In a small bowl combine soft butter with olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Place each slice of bread onto a large baking sheet.
- Spread the butter mixture on top of each slice.
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until slightly browned (keep an close eye on the slices, they brown quickly!).
- Remove from broiler and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of each slice.
- Return to broiler for about 2 minutes or until the cheese is slightly browned and melted.
- Serve immediately.
I cut this recipe down quite a bit, making only enough for 4 slices of Italian loaf bread. I also was a little short on cheese. It was still an absolute delight! I can't WAIT to make it again with tons of cheese on top. This was the PERFECT side dish to Spaghetti Crust Sausage Pizza Casserole and Kittencal's Greek Marinated Tomato, Olive and Feta Salad made using Greek House Salad Dressing. It certainly wasn't figure friendly though! Thanks for an outstanding bread and a meal enjoyed by my entire family!
I use to make these all the time. Although, I'd cut the loaf in half, spread with the butter mixture, add cheese and sliced pepperoni and bake. So good.