Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Toasted whole wheat bread pockets have a cinnamony crust and a surprise apple filling. Serve them warm or at room temperature.
- 32 fresh whole wheat bread, slices
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 golden delicious apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F Cut out centers of each bread slice with a 3-inch round cutter. (Reserve scraps for another use, if desired.) Place half of bread rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Stir together cream cheese, apple, powdered sugar, and 1/8 tsp cinnamon until blended. Spoon about 1 tablespoon apple mixture onto center of each bread round on baking sheet; top with remaining bread rounds. Crimp edges with a fork to seal; brush tops with butter. Stir together remaining 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar; sprinkle over sandwiches.
- Bake at 400°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Note: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. To reheat for a quick afternoon snack, wrap each frozen sandwich in a paper towel and microwave at HIGH for 45 seconds or until warm.
What a great little snack to make..I always have extra bread on hand as my FIL works for a commercial bakery so this was a handy find. I used a red delicious apple & only half the amount of cream cheese & a little less sugar than called for. I cut mine big, basically the size of the bread slice minus the crusts and got 8 big "aaple pies". My 4 year old was most impressed and I enjoyed these too. Thanks for posting!
What a fantastic way to use up leftover sliced bread!
These make a fantastic, creamy apple pie!
I used a red delicious apple and cut back on the cheese just a little to compensate. I also made mine larger in size.
I loved these.... straight from the oven they were wonderful!
So easy and so very yummy.
Thanks Craft Lady for an easy and delcious recipe.
a great snack for finicky kids!