Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Food & Wine, February 2008.
- 2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup honey, warmed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Oil a 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan.
- In a medium skillet, toast the cornmeal over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk with the honey and eggs.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and whisk until moistened.
- Add the butter and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the corn bread cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.