Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Also from Martha Stewart Living...served with "Honey Roasted Eggplant with Chiles" #256253
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup basimati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook coconut, stirring, until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Set aside 2 TBS. coconut. Stir rice into pan with remaining coconut. Add water and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer covered, until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with reserved coconut and scallions.
Simple and delicious, thank you Kim, loved that sweetish coconut flavour even though I'm not a big lover of coconut. Thank you for a nice change to a staple grain in our home, made for Spring PAC 2013
This is delicious and very easy to throw together! I used brown rice, and cooked it with unsweetened fine-flake coconut but garnished with angel flake sweet coconut. This goes well with tofu marinated in Thai peanut sauce and spinach cooked in coconut milk for a complete vegan balanced meal!
Wow! This is easy to make and delicious! I used basmati brown rice (increasing the water to 2 1/2 cups and cooking time to 40 minutes) and served with the roasted eggplant. I will definitely make this again! Reviewed for Veg*an Swap, April 2010