1 hr 10 mins
"The secret to these cookies is that the coconut is toasted before being added to the dough, where it adds a subtle crunch. The unbaked cookies are then rolled in untoasted coconut, which browns as the cookies bake, giving them a double punch of toasted coconut flavor." MAKE AHEAD: Scooped, unbaked cookies can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month. Baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Some alterations made to recipe from Jenna Huntsberger and Stephanie Willis of Whisked! in Washington, D.C.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml sweetened flaked coconut, plus 2 cups for rolling the cookies
- 236.59 ml flour
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 177.44 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 226.79 g semisweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled (do not use chips)
- 170.09 g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- 2Spread 1 cup of the coconut on one of the baking sheets. Toast in oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until fragrant and slightly browned in parts. Cool completely. Place the remaining 2 cups of untoasted coconut in a bowl.
- 3Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl, then whisk in the remaining cup of toasted coconut.
- 4Combine the butter and sugars in mixer on low for 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating on low to incorporate after each addition, then add the vanilla extract. Stop periodically to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- 5Add the melted chocolate; beat on low speed until incorporated, then add the flour-coconut mixture, beating until just combined.
- 6Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- 7Scoop 28 to 32 generous tablespoons of the dough onto the baking sheets. Shape each mound into a ball, then roll each one in the bowl of untoasted coconut until evenly coated.
- 8Arrange the balls 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time for 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges are just set but the centers seem raw. Cool completely on the baking sheet before serving or storing.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toasted Coconut Chocolate Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1039 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.4
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.7 mg
- Sodium 52.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 2.5 g