Recipe by akgrown
Grinding the barley cracks the grains, which allows them to cook faster and maintain their chewy texture; toasting the grains brings out a nutty flavor. To decrease morning prep, grind and toast the barley ahead of time and store in an airtight container. From Cooking Light.
- 1 1⁄4 cups pearl barley
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1/3 cup barley in a blender; process until coarsely ground (15-20 seconds). Place ground barley in a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining barley. Cook barley over medium heat 4 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.
- Add water, sugar, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes until barley is soft, stirring frequently.
- Add milk; cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Stir in raisins, apricots, and almonds. Serve immediately.