Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Different side dish from Betty Crocker. Add chicken or turkey for a one-dish meal.
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 10-inch skillet and 2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook barley in skillet over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until light brown.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except green onions; heat to boiling.
- Transfer mixture to casserole.
- Cover and bake about 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with green onions.
Tasted kind of like a stew. I think I may have used a bit too much broth. I'd like to see the barley be a little more grainey, like rice. I'll try it again with a bit less liquid. I also added a few spices, some parsley and omitted the dill. Overall, a great side dish. Yumm!!
To suit my taste, I substituted a zucchini for the bell pepper and omitted the dill. I also added chicken as suggested and ended up with a yummy, nutritous lunch. However, the cooking time was rather long... the veggies were soft (almost mushy) after baking just 35 minutes.