Recipe by sonjarose12
This recipe appeared in numerous newspapers around the country in Fall 2009. It quickly became a favorite in our household. My husband loves to grow his own zucchini, so I'm always on the lookout for recipes that call for it. What we've found: We've tried several brands of meatballs but like the ones from Costco the best. We mix up the sour cream into each bowl of soup before eating it, which makes it creamy.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 lb meatballs (Swedish meatballs, frozen, cooked)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium low, heat the oil. Add the barley and stir until it is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, carrots, zucchini, meatballs, dill and water. Bring the soup to a simmer, cover the pot and cook over medium-low until the barley is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve each bowl of soup topped with a tablespoon of sour cream.