Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Exactly what a fancy grilled cheese should be—top-notch cheese and bread with a little surprise (an almond-sage spread). From Bon Appetit magazine and sent in by Tartine in San Francisco, CA.
- 3 cups whole unblanched almonds, toasted, cooled (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices country bread (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 (10 -12 ounce) wedge pecorino cheese, cut into very thin slices
- additional olive oil
- Coarsely chop nuts in processor. Add next 6 ingredients. Blend until mixture forms coarse paste. (This can be made 3 days ahead.) Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before using.
- Divide almond paste among half of bread slices; spread to cover. Top with cheese. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover with remaining bread slices. Brush tops with oil.
- Heat 2 large nonstick skillets over medium-high heat. Add 3 sandwiches, oiled side down, to each skillet. Cook until bread is crusty on bottom, about 6 minutes. Brush tops with oil. Turn sandwiches over. Cook until brown and crusty on bottom, pressing to compact, about 6 minutes.