Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This bread comes together in less than 30 minutes and is best served warm from the oven. Substitute an equal amount of chopped pistachios or walnuts for the almonds, if you prefer.
- 4 1⁄2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 3 1⁄3 ounces whole wheat pastry flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1⁄3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place oats in a food processor; process until finely ground. Add flours, brown sugar, and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) to processor; pulse 3 times. Add butter; pulse 5 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add sour cream and vanilla; pulse 3 times or just until combined (do not overmix). Add cherries and nuts; pulse 2 times.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 3 times. Roll dough to a 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to form 10 rounds. Place rounds 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons milk, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle powdered sugar glaze over scones.