Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are yummy. From Rachael Ray magazine.
Make and share this Toastachos recipe from Food.com.
- corn or vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 177.44 ml ground chuck
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 59.14 ml beef stock
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- cilantro (a small handful)
- 22.18 ml butter
- 14.79 ml flour
- 177.44 ml milk
- 354.88 ml yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml pickled jalapeno pepper, drained
- sour cream, for topping
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a small skillet and fry the tortillas 1 at a time over medium-high heat until golden and crisp.
- Season with salt.
- In medium nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add half each of the onion and jalapeno, the garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute.
- Add the beef stock and lower the heat to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes with the remaining onion and jalapeno and the cilantro.
- Season the salsa with salt.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and cook to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese to melt.
- Place a tortilla on each dinner plate.
- Cover with meat mixture and cheese sauce, then top with the tomato salsa, pickled jalapenos and sour cream.