These are yummy. From Rachael Ray magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- corn or vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 3/4 cup ground chuck
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- cilantro (a small handful)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, drained
- sour cream, for topping
- 1Heat a thin layer of oil in a small skillet and fry the tortillas 1 at a time over medium-high heat until golden and crisp.
- 2Season with salt.
- 3In medium nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat.
- 4Add the beef and brown for about 5 minutes.
- 5Add half each of the onion and jalapeno, the garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander; season with salt and pepper.
- 6Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- 7Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute.
- 8Add the beef stock and lower the heat to a simmer.
- 9In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes with the remaining onion and jalapeno and the cilantro.
- 10Season the salsa with salt.
- 11Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- 12Whisk in the flour for 1 minute.
- 13Whisk in the milk and cook to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- 14Stir in the cheese to melt.
- 15Place a tortilla on each dinner plate.
- 16Cover with meat mixture and cheese sauce, then top with the tomato salsa, pickled jalapenos and sour cream.
Nutritional Facts for Toastachos
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.1
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 624.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 22.3 g