Toast Hawaii is to Germans as Grilled Cheese is to Americans. Universally understood, you could order this little snack in any restaurant, even if not on the menu. The version of Toast Hawaii shown here can be dressed up if you wish, but it is tasty plain, too. Serves as many as you want. Count on one or two sandwiches per person. From about.com and posted for ZWT6.
For each sandwich
- 1 slice white bread (or your favorite bread) or 1 slice wheat, sandwich (or your favorite bread)
- 1-2 slice low-sodium deli ham
- 1 slice pineapple (drained, if canned or fresh)
- 0.25 ml dried marjoram (optional)
- 1-2 slice cheese, to cover bread. (Gruyere or Emmentaler are good choices)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter both sides of the bread and place on cookie sheet.
- Layer ham then pineapple on one slice of bread.
- Sprinkle with marjoram and top with cheese.
- Bake for 7 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: The Germans eat this with a knife and fork. Try this with mayonnaise instead of butter (top side only), or 1000 Island or Ranch dressing. Serve with a fried egg for breakfast, or a salad for lunch or dinner.