Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A scrummy version of the good ole English classic
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges, layers separated
- 8 pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
for the batter
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 medium egg
- 300 ml skim milk
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, fresh
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Tip the onions into a small shallow non-stick tin (about 23x30cm). Arrange the sausages on top of the onions, then add the oil and roast for 20 minutes.
- While they are roasting, make the batter. Sift the flour into a bowl, drop the egg in to the centre and beat in the milk a little at a time until it makes a smooth batter. Stir in the mustard and thyme and season.
- Pour the batter quickly into the tin and return to the oven for 40 minutes until the batter is risen and golden. Serve with steamed carrots and cabbage.
Yummy! Mm favourite toad in the hole