Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A hearty recipe of sausages baked in a batter and served with onion gravy. It sounds like you can multi task and start the Toad in the Hole while the Onion Gravy cooks. I am not a fan of prosciutto and plan to use bacon instead. Lard would be a good substitute if you don't have bacon grease on hand. From Saveur magazine
- Onion Gravy:.
- Melt butter, and add sliced onions. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Stir in 1 tbsp flour. Add beef stock, wine, and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Toad in the Hole:.
- Heat oven to 425* F. Stir together flour, mustard, and pepper to taste. Whisk in milk and eggs to form a batter. Rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour 6 tbsp of the bacon grease in a 9x11 baking dish and heat in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining bacon grease in a skillet. Wrap prosciutto around each sausage, and fry until lightly browned all over.
- Pour batter into dish over hot bacon grease. Arrange sausages over batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes until done. Serve with the Onion Gravy.