Recipe by Amis
A great Irish classic. Great for dinner and the kid's love it. A bit involved but it's worth it. This version is similar to pigs in a blanket. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05.
Top Review by Fairy Nuff
I've always wanted to try toad in the hole...hehe. Although we enjoyed this I think I may have done something wrong or maybe the cooking time was too long for the amount of batter. The bottom of the "hole" was pretty crusty and on the overdone side. I'll make again but shorten the cooking time or lower the cooking temperature.
For the toad
- 8 irish sausages
- 8 slices bacon (unsmoked if available)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the hole
- 1⁄4 lb plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
For the gravy
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (20 oz.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375ºF/190ºC.
- The Toad:.
- Wrap the sausages in the bacon and place in a large roasting tin.
- Scatter the onion over it.
- Drizzle the oil over it and bake for 20 minutes.
- The Hole:.
- Sieve the flour and the salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center add the egg and gradually beat in half of the milk for two minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the milk and mustard.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven when the sausages are just turning brown and pour the batter over them.
- Cook for a further 40 minutes or until done. The batter should have risen and it will be a lovely golden brown.
- Note: This can burn easily so keep an eye on it. :D You.
- The Gravy:.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion for five minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute then add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, checking the seasoning.
- Serve the Toad in the Hole with the gravy poured over it with mashed potatoes and veggies on the side.