Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This came from one of my favorite cookbooks, "A Treasury of Great Recipes" by Mary and Vincent Price. The ingredients are nearly identical to other recipes listed here but the preparation, cooking, and presentation techniques are different. They make great appetizers, even at room temperature or just gobble them around the stove.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 24 small breakfast sausage (precooked or uncooked) or 24 small vienna sausages or 24 small vegetarian sausages or 24 small your choice small sausage
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Have milk and eggs at room temperature.
- Sift flour and salt into bowl and stir in milk.
- Beat eggs until frothy, add to batter and beat.
- Let batter rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat oil in skillet, prick sausages with fork and fry until cooked or warmed if precooked.
- Place one sausage and a bit of oil from skillet in each cup of a mini muffin tin and place tin in heated oven.
- Pour batter into heated muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake another 10 minutes or until brown and puffy.
- The sausages will be nested in holes in the puffy pastry, allow to cool in tin a bit and then plate and serve.