Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another classic from Britain Express. Prep time include sitting time for batter.
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 sausages
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- Prepare batter of first 5 ingredients.
- Allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Fry sausages.
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Place dripping in pudding pan.
- Heat in oven until sizzling.
- Pour batter into hot fat in pan.
- Lay sausages in batter.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until pudding has doubled in volume and browned around the edges.
- Be sure your dripping is hot and sizzly or the pudding will be greasy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, peas and beef gravy.
MY MOM always made this for us after she fried up the bacon. STILL LOVE IT! Thanks
I've always loved this dish and it's great fun for the kids. There are so many variations that you could never tire of this dish. I served with fried green tomatos from my own garden. Zaar World Tour 05
Toad in the Hole is one of our family favourites. I use the same recipe, but I cook it in muffin tins. I boil the sausage for about 10 minutes and then cut each into three pieces and put in the muffin tins before I warm them up in the oven.