Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins sound like they are very healthy for you, and pretty easy to make. Another one of my great finds. To your health. Enjoy
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 4)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Blend together in large bowl flour, bran, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, carrots and raisins.
- In second bowl, beat buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Spoon into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.
- (To sour-milk, put 1 tbsp. vinegar into 1 cup measure. Fill with milk. Let stand for 5 minutes.).
The only thing I did differently was to increase the cinnamon to 1 tsp. This is the perfect healthy muffin to go with your morning coffee.
These are nice and healthy. I used 1/3 cup sorghum syrup instead of the brown sugar. DH is a diabetic and the sorghum adds nutrients and has less of an effect on his blood sugar. The amount of cinnamon was increased to 1 teaspoon and I added 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg. Because of the moisture from the carrots, I reduced the oil to 2 tablespoons and used canola because that is what is in the pantry. These sat over night and were served at room temperature. I will be putting the remainder in the freezer so that I can have bran muffins later. I like this recipe because it only makes 12 which is the perfect batch for a small family.
Healthy, healthy, healthy and pretty good to boot! I followed the recipe exactly, except for the omission of the vanilla (I'm out), and I actually chose to make this as a loaf rather than muffins, which worked quite well. Not too heavy, with a surprisingly light crumb. The carrots and raisins add nice flavor and its just sweet enough. I could have stood for a bit more spicing or another flavor, but for what this is (a simple, straightforward, healthy, fiber-full bread) its great.