Recipe by Jan Marie
This is a wonderful variation on baked beans and very easy. I've taken it for pot lucks and everyone wants the recipe. A heartier variation of this is to add a lb of browned hamburger.
- 6 (16 ounce) cans beans (a variety of your favorites, e.g. navy, garbonzo, kidney, white, black, etc)
- 2 (1 lb) packagessliced bacon
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- 1⁄8 cup white vinegar (or more to taste)
- 1 diced onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice, brown, and drain bacon.
- Dice and brown onion.
- Add beans, (lightly drained to preserve just a bit of the juice).
- Add bacon and onion.
- Add molasses, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar.
- Bring to boil and simmer about 30 minutes.
- These can be kept on a low heat for hours, on the stove or in the crock pot.