Adopted from Recipe Zaar. I haven't made this yet, but will shortly and make any alterations I think need to be made. Serving sizes will depend on how much spaghetti you make.
- good first cold press extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 inch in large saute pan (Don't skimp on oil quality!)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, to taste
- 1 chopped onion, to taste
- 8 -12 slices pancetta, thick slices (Italian bacon)
- 4 eggs
- 2 (16 ounce) packages spaghetti (use your good judgement on quanity, we eat alot!..you may not!)
- 2 cups fresh grated parmesan cheese (Again, don't skimp on quality!) or 2 cups parmigiano-reggiano cheese (Again, don't skimp on quality!)
- crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Put 1/2 inch of olive oil in sauté pan.
- Add 2 cloves (or more) chopped garlic, onion and bacon cut into small squares.
- Let simmer 30 minutes, don't let mixture boil!
- During last 10 minutes of simmering add crushed red pepper flakes if using (I used 1 teaspoon).
- In bowl, beat 4 eggs with lots of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Cook spaghetti until al dente.
- Drain and immediately add egg mixture to pasta. (The pasta needs to be real hot in order for the eggs to cook).
- Stir until eggs are cooked.
- Mix into sauté pan and finish with the grated cheese.
I made this for my husband [I am on a diet] who had never had spaghetti carbonara before. He likes all the ingredients but did not like the end result. He thought it was too dry, not creamy enough. I think its a personal preference thing though. He likes fettuccine alfredo a lot and thats more his type of thing.
this was simply wonderful. simmering the pancetta, onion, garlic and peppers in the oil for a lengthy time really allowed for the flavours to develop. i loved the simplicity of the ingredients... you can taste every one of them in the final dish without any overpowering the others (plus there was no mess in the kitchen to clean up - bonus!). i am a fan of fairly "naked" pasta and have been searching for the perfect non-creamy carbonara recipe for ages. i have definitely found it. thank you!
Really delicious pasta!