Recipe by Rozanne in Texas
Don't drink the wine while your making this soup. I once drank the wine while I was cooking and added too much cheese. Oops! It took me over 12 years to find a recipe. I got this from All Recipes and messed with it to get it to MY liking.
Top Review by Bubba'sMommy
The cream of mushroom & garlic soup overpowered this, and while the soup was ok, my husband and I didn't think it tasted like potato soup at all. The directions didn't specify when to add the soup, cheese or chicken bouillon. I added the bouillon with the water, and the cheese and soup after I used an immersion blender to puree most of the potato. I used heavy cream, not half and half, and added it all at the end. Served it with some cheddar cheese, green onion and extra crumbled bacon on top.
- 8 red potatoes, washed, unpeeled
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 quart half-and-half, divided
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, crispy fried, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom & garlic soup
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2-1 cup white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté celery and onion in 1 TBS of bacon grease.
- Add bacon, celery, onion, thyme, salt, pepper, chicken bouillon cubes, all but 1 C of the half-n-half, and all of the white wine to chopped potatoes.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes and boil.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking the potatoes, remove ½ of the soup and mash in a food processor until it is a mashed potato consistency. Return to pot.
- Add the parsley, can of creamed soup and the remainder of half-n-half.
- Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Top with green onions and bacon. Serve hot.