Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are demanded of me at all family events. I'm glad they're so easy! People who claim to not like nuts have told me that these were the best things they've ever eaten!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 2 cups mixed nuts, roasted & salted
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 (12 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Press into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Quickly spread nuts and chocolate chips over crust (it helps to have them combined and just sprinkle the mixture on top).
- Combine caramel topping with 3 tablespoons flour. Drizzle over nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until golden and bubbly.
- Cool and cut into squares.
I made these to take to thanksgiving dinner as something different...they went over really well. Makes a huge pan! Loved the simplicity of the crust, and everyone loved the flavour of it. A definite crowd pleaser.
Wow! These were amazing! I bake so much and make everything from "scratch", so I was a little skeptical about the jar of caramel sauce. But you know what? I hate making caramel...sometimes it comes out great, but a lot of times it flops. And who wants to fool around with a candy thermometer? This recipe was so easy and the results are really "To-Die-For". I used Reynolds non-stick foil on the bottom of the pan for easy cleanup. These would be great for a pot-luck or baby shower.
Thanks much for this great bar recipe! The triple combination of the roasted nuts, the chocolate & the caramel brought RAVES as well as requests for copies of the recipe! Definitely a keeper & a great addition to my file of bar recipes!