Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
My Mom made these for me when I was young, only a more plain version. I have since added different things to make it the way I like.
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- butter or extra virgin olive oil to fry egg
- 1 slice extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 slice deli ham
- 1⁄4 avocado, sliced (optional)
- 2 slices tomatoes (optional)
- Toast the bread.
- Spread the mayonnaise on both pieces of toast.
- Heat the pan and use butter or light extra virgin olive oil to fry the egg.
- I love the yolk so I cook mine over easy so the yolk is runny on the sandwich, yum!
- For mine, since I like the runny yolk, there isn't enough time to put the cheese on when I flip over the egg so it goes on after the egg is on the toast.
- Toss the slice of ham into the pan to heat through real fast; add on top of the cheese.
- That is all I do for the basic sandwich.
- Extras I like to add on depending on what I have on hand are 1/4 of an avocado sliced, or tomato slices.
- I have to say if you like your yolks runny then the avocado is a must, the two go together perfectly. Hubby likes to put some chalula hot sauce on his sandwich also.
This was very good! I usually use bacon on my egg sandwich, but the ham was a nice change of pace :)