Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From One Smart Cookie.
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350?F. Spray 8x8-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare base: In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Stir in flour and salt until well combined and crumbly. Press into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake about 12 minutes until just barely golden around the edges.
- Prepare topping: In the same bowl (no need to wash it) combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add egg and egg white, lemon juice and stir until well-blended and smooth.
- Smooth cranberries and coconut evenly over the base. Pour lemon filling over top. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until golden and set. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if using, before cutting into squares.
These were so simple to make! My husband loves coconut and cranberry. I made them in a little different pan so I think they were thicker than they would have been, but they turned out great! I'm not big on coconut, but my husband really enjoyed them. They looked very pretty and festive too! Thanks for sharing! Next time, my husband wants me to try it with fresh cherries.