Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are really simple to make and I always make them when I am making my chili beef recipe. It is just beef chili, cheese and nachos. You can add jalapeños for a hotter dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 7 ounces kidney beans
- 10 fluid ounces beef stock
- 100 g of any cheese (I use a mixture of Mozzarella and mild cheddar)
- 100 g tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)
- sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry chopped onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes.
- Add minced beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in chili powder and tomato puree and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add chopped tomatoes, drained kidney beans and beef stock. (You can put in salt and pepper at this point but I don't use them because I think that there is plenty of flavouring in the stock cube).
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Put about 1/4 of the chili into a food blender and Slightly liquidize the chili.
- Put half of the tortilla chips into a baking dish then put half of the liquidized chili mixture over the top then sprinkle over half of the cheese.
- Put another layer of tortilla chips followed by the chili beef then the cheese.
- Sprinkle with chopped jalapeños.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with soured cream and salsa.