Recipe by Deantini
If you are looking for a rib recipe that is not your regular BBQ sauce kind of thing - look no further. The original recipe is called Vietnamese Style Barbequed Ribs from the 'Cocktail Chef'. My husband has made this recipe many times and it never fails to bring in rave reviews. The flavours are asian inspired and wonderful.The marinade can be frozen and re-used a 2nd time; the 2nd use gets a spicier note.Our kids (9 & 7) love the recipe, so it is also kid friendly and not too spicy even when using chilies. You need to prepare in advance as a long marinating time is required (24-48 hours). Don't look to closely at the calorie count as the marinade packs a lot of calories that are not consumed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, finely minced (leave seeds in)
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups fish sauce
- 3 stalks lemongrass, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup hot chili sauce
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup lime zest, grated
- 1 cup sherry wine, medium dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 6 lbs pork back ribs, meaty (3 racks)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in sauce pan and saute shallots, onion, garlic and chilies until fragrant and translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add chilies, stir.
- In a medium sauce pan combine sugar, water and fish sauce, stirring over low heat until sugar has disolved. Bring to a boil slowly, stir in lemon grass and remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine the onion and sugar mixture. Stir in chili sauce, lime juice, lime zest, sherry, black pepper and allow to cool.
- Using a sharp knife seperate the rib racks into individual ribs. Divide the ribs among 2-3 large freezer bags with equal amount of marinade. Allow to marinade for 48 hours (we have with success used much shorter time).
- Grill the individual ribs on the BBQ for 10 minutes until done.
- Alternately you can use the grill/broil function of your oven.