Recipe by tree luee dee
My husband went to see his mother the other day, and she lives at a beautiful assisted living facility. They have a professional chef that works there, so the meals are incredible. The day he was there, he noticed that the chef at made a real comfort meal....chili macaroni. He came home craving it. So, I looked through all of the wonderful recipes here on Zaar and then combined them all together and came up with this recipe. My husband absolutely loved it.....I hope you do, too!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups macaroni, dry
- cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground meat with the onions and garlic in a large frying pan. Drain the meat and return it to the frying pan.
- Add the chili sauce, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes and brown sugar to the meat mixture.
- Add the rest of the spices to the meat mixture.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni. I cooked the macaroni only about 5 1/2 minutes. This was because you add the macaroni to the meat mixture and heat thoroughly. The pasta continues to cook in the meat mixture and if you cook the macaroni for the time alloted on the box, it would be extremely mushy. (That's a fancy cookin' term -- ).
- Put the chili mac in bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese.