Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Show your family some Tender Loving Care with healthy TLC - Tofu, Lettuce and Cucumber. It's a fun twist on a BLT that is unbelievably yummy, with easy homemade salty, smoky tofu "bacon." For quick lunch assembly, prepare the tofu the day before and refrigerate it in a sealed container. Substitute mashed avocado for the mayo, if you wish to make it vegan. Enjoy! Adapted from Whole Foods.
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons liquid, aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon water
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 8 slices healthy bread, toasted (Seeduction hearth bread is good)
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- Wrap tofu snugly in 4 or 5 layers of paper towels and arrange on a plate. Cover with a second plate and balance a heavy can or two on top to weigh down the plate; set aside to drain for 20 minutes. Unwrap tofu and cut into 12 slices.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a wide, shallow dish, whisk together liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika and 1 tablespoon water. Arrange tofu in dish, turn to coat well with marinade and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange tofu slices about one inch apart in a single layer; spray all over with cooking spray.
- Bake, flipping tofu halfway through, until firm and golden brown, about 30 minutes; set aside to let cool.
- Spread mayonnaise(or mashed avocado) onto 4 bread slices, then top with lettuce, cucumbers, tofu and remaining bread and serve. Enjoy!
All local ingredients used including Dave's Killer Bread made here in Oregon. Tested the sandwich with the mayonnaise and soy sauce and will try the avocado next time for certain. Being a version of a BLT, I added slices of heirloom tomatoes. A little bit of chopped basil was added to each sandwich. Both kinds of cucumbers were added: standard and lemon. Served with fresh seasonal fruit (mostly a variety of berries and melons) and artisan cheese slices. An easy and delicious lunch was enjoyed on Saturday. Loved the flavoring for the tofu! Thanks! Reviewed for Veg Tag/September.