Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of the most requested stews in restaurants in Mexico.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, in cubes
- 1 1⁄2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 beef bone, with marrow
- 3 medium tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 celery rib
- 3 cooked potatoes, in chunks
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 3 medium zucchini, in chunks
- 6 epazote, sprigs
- 6 limes
- 3 avocados
- 6 dried chipotle chiles (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (more or less)
- In a capacity pot or dutch oven, simmer the meat with the marrow bone, one quartered onion, the celery , the garlic cloves and salt until fully cooked.
- On a skillet in oil that's not too hot, fry the chicken breast cubes and dry chipotles until chicken starts to brown.
- Take the onion garlic and celery out of the stew, and pour the rendered stock over the chicken.
- Add the beef, tomato, chipotles and the epazote.
- Simmer until chicken cubes are cooked.
- Add the potatoes, the zucchini and the peas.
- Simmer until zucchini is cooked.
- Serve with the remaining onion, chopped, lime juice to taste, and sliced or cubed avocado.