Recipe by tkgreer
I grew up in New Mexico and green chili was a major part of our diet. I still love Hatch chilies so much and often roast and keep them in my freezer all year long. This recipe has been used by our family for years and whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe. It is fast, great for a crowd and will be one of your favorites too.
- 1 -2 lb ground beef (depending upon how much beef you like in yours.)
- 2 cups grated Mexican blend cheese (ie ( jack and cheddar)
- 2 (6 ounce) canschopped New Mexico green chilies
- 1 (6 ounce) canwhole New Mexico green chilies
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
- 18 -24 corn tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and set aside.
- Combine chopped green chilies, onion, and soups in a bowl, mix well.
- Add ground beef to soup mixture.
- Heat 1/4" of oil (canola or vegetable) in a skillet.
- Heat the tortillas one at a time in the warm oil just enough to coat then begin to layer in a 13" x 6.5" casserole dish.
- Spread a layer of your soup/chili mixture on top of tortillas, sprinkle some grated cheese on top of each layer and continue layering until you reach the top of your casserole dish.
- Final top layer of tortillas, sprinkle remainder of your cheese on top of tortillas.
- Cut your whole green chilies into strips and arrange in an attractive pattern on top.
- Bake at 350 in the oven until casserole is bubbling and top cheese is melted and a little brown.