Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the recipe I came up with when trying to decide on a good mexican cornbread recipe...wonderfully moist with a delicate sweetness...not hot, but you could adjust that.
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can kernel corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9x13 inch glass baking dish.
- Put dish in oven and let it get hot while mixing ingredients.
- Once all ingredients are mixed, pour into baking dish and bake fro 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
This is very good - lots of flavor. It's so heavy and moist, it's almost like a casserole. It does not lend itself to slicing and toasting. It's best enjoyed warm. Thanks for a tasty and satisfying recipe!
I thought this was excellent! I really liked the addition of creole seasoning (I used cajun)but had to omit the jalapenos due to a 3 yr old eating this with me. Thanks for a yummy cornbread recipe!