Recipe by Oolala
From Susan Manlin Katzman, a free-lance food writer, St. Louis, MO. She got this recipe in 1987 from Tivoli restaurant which no longer exists. It was their signature dish and it won for best brunch dish in a contest. Two hour marination or more required.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, juice from about 2 lemons
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup salsa, your favorite
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken in a glass dish large enough to hold the chicken pieces in a single layer.
- Combine oil, lemon juice, cilantro, salt, cumin, shallots, pepper, cayenne and garlic.
- Pour mixture over the chicken and turn pieces to coat.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours, turning chicken occasionally.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, reserving marinade.
- Boil marinade and then leave at a simmer for use as a baste.
- Place chicken on oiled rack of gas grill over medium-high heat or on charcoal grill 4-6 inches from medium-hot coals.
- Cook, turning once and basting often with the heated marinade, 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is firm, opaque, and light golden brown.
- Discard remaining marinade.
- Put 2 tablespoons of salsa on each serving plate and put 1 piece of chicken on top of the salsa and serve immediately.