Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
From the City Times newspaper dated Dec 10, 2002. I haven't yet tried this, but I've heard a lot of praises about this one and hence went ahead and posted it.
- 120 g egg yolks
- 450 g sugar
- 1 orange, fine zest and juice
- 4 g gelatin
- 500 ml espresso coffee
- 400 g mascarpone cheese
- 400 g whipped cream
- 100 g savoiardi ladyfingers (sponge fingers)
- 100 ml Amaretto
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a zabaglione by beating the egg yolks and 150gms sugar in the top of a double boiler until ivory coloured.
- Whisk gently over simmering water until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Allow to cool.
- Take the juice and zest of an orange and cook till the zest is soft and the juice is thick.
- Mix it in the zabaglione.
- Soften gelatine in cold water.
- Add it to the zabaglione.
- Blend mascarpone cheese with the zabaglione.
- Add the cream slowly.
- Make a coffee mixture with coffee, sugar and Amaretto.
- Cool it.
- Dip the sponge fingers into the coffee mixture.
- Let it soak in the coffee syrup mixture.
- Arrange in a single layer in the bottom of a 9 inch bowl.
- Cover them with half the zabaglione.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with the zabaglione.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.