Prep 5 hrs
Cook 8 mins
Tiramisu is formed into a trifle dish made with Zabaglione. Ladyfingers are brushed with a cognac/espresso mixture and layered with Zabaglione and freshly grated chocolate. This Zabaglione has a slight flavor of marsala and is so delicious that it can be eaten by itself as a dessert with fresh fruit.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 marsala, divided
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup freshly brewed espresso or 1⁄3 cup very strong coffee
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces ladyfingers, split
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Prepare Zabaglione by placing egg yolks in top of a double boiler.
- Add sugar and beat with portable mixer or rotary beater at medium speed until mixture is pale yellow and creamy.
- Place water in bottom of double boiler and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to lower and place top of double boiler over simmering water.
- Gradually beat 1/4 cup marsala into egg yolk mixture.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Gradually beat in remaining marsala and 1/4 cup white wine.
- Continue cooking custard over the simmering water approximately 4 to 8 minutes or until mixture is fluffy and soft peaks form from beaters.
- Beat constantly, scraping sides and bottom of pan frequently.
- DONOT over cook custard!
- Immediately remove from heat and whisk custard briefly.
- Cover and refrigerate Zabaglione until well chilled.
- Beat cream with 2 TB sugar in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold in mascarpone cheese, then Zabaglione.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours or until well chilled.
- Combine espresso, cognac and remaining 2 TB sugar and vanilla extract.
- Layer 1/4 of ladyfingers in a flower-petal design in a trifle dish.
- Generously brush ladyfingers with the espresso mixture.
- Spoon 1/4 of cheese mixture over ladyfingers to within 1 inch of sides of dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 of grated chocolate.
- Repeat these layers 3 more times.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 of chocolate around perimeter of cheese mixture and sift cocoa powder over the top of the cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.