Very easy to put together. This is trifle, and not the same as the Tiramisu dish we all know. A high dish will give you three layers, in a low dish you will probably end up with two. The recipe I found in a magazine, the recipe there uses 2 cups of custard but I like to use three, it is really to taste. Here in the Netherlands we can buy the custard ready made in cartons (vanille vla) If that is not the case in your part of the world you will have to make the custard or use a vanilla instant pudding.
- 300 ml good strong coffee
- 6 fluid ounces amaretto liqueur
- 1 (500 g) container mascarpone cheese
- 2 -3 cups ready made custard
- 9 ounces sponge cake fingers
- 3 ounces dark chocolate (roughly chopped or grated coarsely) or 3 ounces milk chocolate, of a good quality (roughly chopped or grated coarsely)
- 3 -4 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons grated chocolate
- Mix the coffee and liqueur in a wide dish.
- In another bowl mix the mascarpone with the custard until smooth using an electric hand mixer.
- Take about a third of the sponge fingers and dip them in the coffee/liqueur mix and line the bottom of a glass dish with them, drizzle a bit more of the liquid over the sponge fingers.
- Now sprinkle over a third of the chocolate followed with a layer of the Mascarpone/custard mix.
- Repeat twice.
- Chill for at least 2 hours or up to a day.
- Just before serving sprinkle with the almonds and more chocolate.
If someone asks you to bring a dessert, this is the one you want to bring! I had some Instant Bird's Custard in the house (British convenience food) and a chocolate marble loaf cake from the supermarket (these things have an amazing shelf life and are always there when you need them). I made up some good strong instant coffee (Taster's Choice chocolate flavored coffee), and the whole thing took me about 10 minutes to put together, maybe even less. My coffee loving hosts were in ecstasy!
A really great recipe that goes down a treat. Very simple to make. I changed the trifle sponge to Ameretto biscuits for flavour which really worked well. Can you please just use one system for measurements?
This is an absolutely beautiful dessert. It is wonderful to look at and even more lucious to eat. This will be the hit of the dessert table!