Phil Franco's Note:
A substitute for Mascarpone cheese is equal parts of ricotta and cream cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- 12 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 32 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 7 tablespoons Kahlua
- 60 crisp french-style ladyfinger cookies
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, finely ground in processor
- chocolate leaves, for garnishing
- 1Whisk 1 and 1/3 cups sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup rum, 3 tablespoons brandy, yolks, and nutmeg in metal bowl.
- 2Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water).
- 3Whisk constantly until mixture thickens and candy thermometer inserted into mixture registers 140°F for 3 minutes, about 5 minutes total.
- 4Remove bowl from over water.
- 5Whisk Mascarpone, 8 ounces at a time, into warm custard until blended.
- 6Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream, vanilla, 1 tablespoon brandy, and 1 teaspoon rum in large bowl until cream holds peaks.
- 7Bring 1 cup water to simmer in small saucepan.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Add 2 tablespoons sugar and espresso powder; stir to dissolve.
- 10Mix in liqueur.
- 11Submerge 1 biscuit in espresso mixture, turning to coat twice; shake excess liquid back into pan.
- 12Place dipped biscuit, sugared side facing out, around bottom side of 14-cup trifle dish, pressing against side of dish (biscuit may break).
- 13Repeat with enough biscuits to go around bottom sides of dish once.
- 14Dip more biscuits and arrange over bottom of dish to cover.
- 15Spoon 2 cups Mascarpone mixture over biscuits; spread to cover.
- 16Sprinkle 1/4 cup ground chocolate over, making chocolate visible at sides of dish.
- 17Repeat with more biscuits dipped into espresso mixture, Mascarpone mixture, and ground chocolate in 2 more layers each.
- 18Cover with 1 more layer of dipped biscuits and enough Mascarpone mixture to reach top of trifle dish.
- 19Sprinkle remaining ground chocolate over, covering completely.
- 20Cover and chill overnight.
- 21Gently press stem end of largest chocolate leaves around edge of trifle.
- 22Fill center with smaller leaves. (Can be made 8 hours ahead; chill.)
- 23Makes 15 to 18 servings.
- 24That's it!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tiramisu Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.6
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 288.2 mg
- Sodium 86.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 40.6 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: