Recipe by Sharlene~W
Oprah's favorite Tiramisu from Sette Mezzo restaurant. Originally published in "O" magazine.
Top Review by Mike Littman
Tiramisu seems to be Italy's favorite dessert, and there are more recipes than Chefs! It is not necessary to form the dessert in a 9x12 dish. A deluxe glass bowl or individual dishes are even better. I like to put a layer of ladyfingers down first,cut to fit very closely, and layer the sides as well. Lady fingers are usually sold in packages, not by weight, so for this amount of yolks you may need between two or three packages of normal size fingers. Try and get UN-PASTEURISED CHEESE, if possible, It just makes a better dessert. Shaved bitter chocolate can be added to the garnish. A good coffee liqueur is imperative, as well as creme de cacao. This recipe tastes good, but make the whites firmer.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 lb mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 1 cup espresso, chilled
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 14 ounces ladyfingers
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and 1 tablespoon brandy until sugar dissolves.
- Beat in mascarpone.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold in mascarpone mixture.
- Add coffee liqueur and remaining 2 tablespoons brandy to espresso.
- Spread 1/3 of mascarpone mixture in 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- Lightly dust with cocoa powder.
- Brush ladyfingers with espresso/liqueur mixture.
- Place half of the ladyfingers close together on top of mascarpone mixture.
- Repeat layers using another 1/3 mascarpone mixture and remaining ladyfingers.
- Finish by spreading last 1/3 of mascarpone mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cocoa over top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 12 hours before serving.