This is a fabulous recipe that is sure to impress! It looks and tastes like a much more difficult cake. It's a wonderful indulgence! (This cake was much easier for me to make the 2nd time around when I knew what to expect.)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1⁄2 cup coffee
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round pans.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions.
- Divide two thirds of batter between 2 pans.
- Stir instant coffee into remaining batter; pour into remaining pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a measuring cup, combine brewed coffee and 3 tablespoons Kahlua; set aside.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, using an electric mixer set on low speed, combine mascarpone, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons Kahlua; beat just until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the cream, 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons Kahlua until stiff.
- Fold 1/2 cup of cream mixture into filling mixture.
- To assemble the cake: Place one plain cake layer on a serving plate. Using a thin skewer, poke holes in cake, about 1 inch apart.
- Spoon one third of reserved coffee mixture over cake, then spread with half of the filling mixture.
- Top with coffee-flavored cake layer; poke holes in cake.
- Spoon another third of the coffee mixture over the second layer and spread with the remaining filling.
- Top with remaining cake layer; poke holes in cake.
- Spoon remaining coffee mixture on top.
- Spread sides and top of cake with frosting.
- Place cocoa in a sieve and lightly dust top of cake.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate bar.