Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 14 ladyfingers
- 1 cup strong rich coffee, cooled
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Combine egg yolks and water in heavy saucepan.
- Cook over very low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture reaches 160 degrees, about 15 minutes.
- Cool quickly in cold water bath or in freezer.
- Stir mascarpone into yolks.
- Combine 4 egg whites, sugar and salt in top of double boiler.
- Cook over very low heat, beating with hand-held mixer on medium speed or with whisk until whites hold soft peaks and temperature reaches 160 degrees, about 20 minutes.
- Stir 1/4 of whites into egg yolk mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
- To assemble, arrange ladyfingers in single layer on piece of heavy-duty foil; slightly turn up foil edges to make a tray.
- (You also can do this on a large platter.) Combine coffee and Cognac; drizzle evenly over ladyfingers.
- Arrange half of ladyfingers in single layer in glass or souffle dish, about 6 1/2 inches in diameter and 3 to 4 inches deep.
- Fill in any spaces with parts of ladyfingers.
- Cover ladyfinger layer with half of mascarpone mixture. Top with remaining ladyfingers and remaining mascarpone mixture. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.
- Sprinkle cocoa through fine sieve over surface. Serve chilled.