Recipe by andypandy
great tasting, needs and ice cream machine
Top Review by costascleater
Great ingredients list, but speaking from personal experience, I have not applied heat to eggs in an ice cream recipe for decades now. They cook far too easily, and too often end up in the waste bin. Aside from which, it is totally unnecessary these days. Commercially available products such as evaporated milk, condensed milk, caramel, and even instant custard all render 'cooking' eggs in milk totally unnecessary, and indeed save a lot of time to boot. When I add eggs to my ice cream recipes, I do so 'cold'. It works just as well, and there's no risk of trashing the mixture by over-cooking it. I also use the whole egg, which I separate. The yolks go directly in the mixture, and the whites are beaten until stiff. Then fold into the custard/cream mixture. Makes for a lighter, smoother, fluffier texture that is easier to scoop almost straight out of the freezer.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon espresso, instant granules
- 1⁄4 cup coffee liqueur
- 1⁄3 cup bittersweet dark chocolate (shaved) or 1⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate (shaved)
- 5 crumbled lady finger cookies
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk and half and half with the vanilla been in a heavy saucepot.
- Bring up to just boiling point over medium heat.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar until well blended.
- Add hot milk mixture into the beaten yolk/sugar mixture whisking well.
- Return all to the saucepot on medium heat.
- Cook over medium low heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Stirring constantly, and not boiling.
- Remove the vanilla bean and clean off.
- Scrape seeds that remain in the pod, and throw away the empty pod.
- Mix the seeds in with the mascarpone cheese and beat until creamy.
- Strain if desired the egg milk mixture into a large bowl, pushing thru well.
- This will remove any cooked egg that might have occurred.
- Now into the bowl of custard, combine the mascarpone and seeds.
- Chill mixture covered overnight or until completely cold about five hours.
- Stir in the coffee cyrstals.
- Pour into the freezer container and process as manufacturers directions.
- Just before removing from the machine about five minutes , pour in the coffee liqueer and chocolate shavings.
- You also can add five crumbled lady finger biscuits, if you desire the cookie in the ice cream.
- So the liqueur, chocolate and crumbled biscuits go in the last three to five minutes of freezing in the machine, these just have to be folded inches.
- Spoon into a tupperware or covered freezer type container, and freeze solid.