Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I saw Giada make this on a recent episode. I haven't made it yet but I can't wait...
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups espresso, cooled
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 24 ladyfingers
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate shavings, for garnish
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a small shallow dish, add remaining espresso and rum.
- Dip each ladyfinger into espresso for only 5 seconds. Letting the ladyfingers soak too long will cause them to fall apart.
- Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch baking dish, breaking them in half if necessary in order to fit the bottom.
- Spread evenly 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 8 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
Giada's Tiramisu is the best there is, and it's the real thing - I do, however (on the advice of a friend from Naples) switch out the Rum for Frangelico Liquor (Hazlenut) :)
I did it 2 times. It was a real success. It was sweet enough for all of us. I wouldn't consider adding more sugar.
I made this one time, and was told by everyone that it was the best tiramisu they ever had. Now I'm going to make it again, and I hope for the result, but I'm sure it will be!