Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here's an excellent brunch cake-frost with a mocha frosting if you wish.
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 10-inch springform pan.
- In a small bowl dissolve instant coffee with the lemon juice-set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the coffee mixture with the cream cheese, ricotta, egg, and sugar.
- Beat until smooth and well incorporated.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar.
- Cream well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time along with the rum extract.
- Beat well.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the butter batter.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared springform pan.
- Spoon in the cream cheese mixture and swirl with a knife.
- Pour remaining batter on top of this.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crushed instant coffee.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or frost and garnish with chocolate covered espresso beans.