Brandy and even whiskey can stand in for the dark rum. The test kitchen prefers a tiramisù with a pronounced rum flavor; for a less potent rum flavor, halve the amount of rum added to the coffee mixture in step 1. Do not allow the mascarpone to warm to room temperature before using it; it has a tendency to break if allowed to do so. Be certain to use hard, not soft ladyfingers. Cooking time is chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups strong black coffee, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 9 tablespoons dark rum
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 lbs mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (cold)
- 14 ounces ladyfingers (42 to 60, depending on size)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cocoa, preferably Dutch-processed
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate (optional) or 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate, grated (optional)
- 1Stir coffee, espresso, and 5 tablespoons rum in wide bowl or baking dish until espresso dissolves; set aside.
- 2In bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat yolks at low speed until just combined. Add sugar and salt and beat at medium-high speed until pale yellow, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula once or twice. Add remaining 4 tablespoons rum and beat at medium speed until just combined, 20 to 30 seconds; scrape bowl. Add mascarpone and beat at medium speed until no lumps remain, 30 to 45 seconds, scraping down bowl once or twice. Transfer mixture to large bowl and set aside.
- 3In now-empty mixer bowl (no need to clean bowl), beat cream at medium speed until frothy, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Increase speed to high and continue to beat until cream holds stiff peaks, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer. Using rubber spatula, fold one-third of whipped cream into mascarpone mixture to lighten, then gently fold in remaining whipped cream until no white streaks remain. Set mascarpone mixture aside.
- 4Working one at a time, drop half of ladyfingers into coffee mixture, roll, remove, and transfer to 13 by 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. (Do not submerge ladyfingers in coffee mixture; entire process should take no longer than 2 to 3 seconds for each cookie.) Arrange soaked cookies in single layer in baking dish, breaking or trimming ladyfingers as needed to fit neatly into dish.
- 5Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers; use rubber spatula to spread mixture to sides and into corners of dish and smooth surface. Place 2 tablespoons cocoa in fine-mesh strainer and dust cocoa over mascarpone.
- 6Repeat dipping and arrangement of ladyfingers; spread remaining mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers and dust with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa. Wipe edges of dish with dry paper towel. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 to 24 hours. Sprinkle with grated chocolate, if using; cut into pieces and serve chilled.
Nutritional Facts for Tiramisu(ATK)
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.7
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 222.9 mg
- Sodium 129.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 23.4 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: